I’ll be the first to admit, that teaching is not for me. I get incredibly impatient and wonder why on earth, does my child not recognize the word, despite him seeing it so many times! When I first learnt about Stepping Stones Together, I was a little apprehensive. I wasn’t sure if I (not my son, me) was ready. As I explored this Beginning Reader Program, I became a little bit more confident that it may work, looking at at how it was structured.
About Erika Burton (founder of Stepping Stones Together) :
Erika Burton, Ph.D., is the Founder and President of Stepping Stones Together, LLC, a new, low cost, online beginning reading program for children ages 3-7, whose mission is to make positive changes in the academic achievement of children. Burton, a Glencoe resident and mother of three young children, founded Stepping Stones Together to empower parents with tools and knowledge needed to instill a lifetime foundation of love and commitment to reading while creating an invaluable bond with their child. Stepping Stones Together will donate a portion of their proceeds directly to the Myeloma Institute, which will help support the institutes’ efforts to advance the treatment and potential cure of Multiple Myeloma, a type of cancer affecting more than 50,000 Americans.
Stepping Stones Together is a personalized beginning reading program consisting of:
- A choice of 30 high interest themed stories from our beginning reading library, which is comprised of 3 difficulty levels.
- Over 100 reading comprehension questions designed to build your child’s reading comprehension skills, along with thinking, reading fluency, speaking and writing abilities. (early reading benefits)
- A daily writing program linked to your child’s daily reading to extend your child’s reading and writing abilities.
- Extension games that encourage your child to use their newly acquired reading skills as well as explore the benefits and joys connected with being a reader.
- A personalized behavior incentive chart for each series of stories to motivate your child to record their daily progress.
- A personalized certificate acknowledging their achievement after completing a leveled series every 10 days. Each reading series is comprised of 5 stories at a given level read twice. E-alerts to keep you on target with the program, which are directly linked to your personalized profile.
Subscribe to it! : As there are 3 difficulty levels, I naturally started my 5 year old at the easiest level. At this point, I knew that he has been aware of print words and he recognized that alphabets do make up many kinds of words. This program provides a simple guide for the parent on how to use the books. On a overall basis, this guide aims to positively reinforces the child’s confidence in reading by letting them predict what the book is about, by looking at the illustrations. I think this helps a great deal. By looking at the words (and illustrations), and sounding out beginning letters, I found my son was able to say the words, a lot more confidently, than if it was just a wordy-book.
My 5 year old enjoyed alot of the books and especially, the illustrations. He particularly liked the ones with the ‘Super Heroes’ and ‘Dexter the dinosaur’. AND! He also (finally!) managed to differentiate between the ‘b’ and the ‘d’, thanks to a little video guide included in there.
We’re still halfway through the program, but I have to say, he has been progressing very well, and he really enjoys reading the books from Stepping Stones Together! This program does aim to ensure that your child is reading within 90 days, with parental involvement.
I personally found that ever since we started this program, we do like to snuggle up for our reading time and him, being a middle child, does enjoy this lil quiet time that I ordinarily would not have found time for. I’m glad I did, even though it meant less time for everything else!
The Stepping Stones Together Program is priced at $19.99 for 90 days or $39.90 for a full year’s membership. There is also a preview where you can read the demo books.
Win it! : Stepping Stones Together is generously giving away one lucky reader, a 1 year membership and all you have to do is :
- First mandatory entry– Tell us one fun fact about Erika Burton!
- Second additional entry– follow Stepping Stones Together on facebook (and tell them we sent you) or twitter. Leave us a comment including which you did and a valid email address.
- Third additional entry– follow Parent Reviewers on twitter and tweet this giveaway. Leave us a comment including your twitter id and the tweet url.
- Giveaway ends June 5th, 2011.
- Giveaway is open to all (as it is online, so you’ll definitely need your PC and internet!) and a winner will be picked using Random.org. We will not be emailing winners, so please make sure you subscribe to our feed or check back here for the winner announcement post.