A few months ago, we had the opportunity to review the first volume of Rock ‘N Learn Phonics DVD. Now, the 2nd Volume from this music-licious DVD is now available and we had a blast reviewing. The core (and very serious) review team included a 5 year old and a 8 year old. It had the upbeat rock n rollin’ music that my kids are very familiar with. Having learnt lots from the previous volume, this 2nd volume introduces several new phonetics like long vowels (a,e,i,o and u), practicing them in sentences like ire, are, air, and phonemic segmentation (counting the number of syllables), and of course, the stories and songs.
The reviewers absolutely loved dancing to the beat, and also mimicking “Mr. Lips” (or so they’ve nicknamed it). When it came to the story-reading, it got a little too fast for the 5 year old, but the 8 year old kept up to it. I think given time, the 5 year old would have no problem catching up to a faster level. The combination of the catchy music with the longer words do seem to help them with the various rules.
About the creators of Rock ‘N Learn :
Working as a school psychologist in 1986, Richard Caudle saw the need for multi-sensory learning programs using the styles of music that kids love. He consulted his younger brother Brad, an accomplished musician, to record their first program to help kids learn multiplication facts. Strong sales of this recording in the school specialty and book markets led to other programs and the start of a successful company.
Richard and Brad never varied from their number one goal of providing children with programs that would make learning easier as well as fun. Brad’s wife Melissa, a former second-grade teacher, writes material and coordinates educational research for Rock ’N Learn. Richard’s wife, Kathie, manages sales and marketing.
Buy It! : My kids really loves (re)playing Rock ‘N Learn Phonics DVD Vol. 2. There are several ‘ah-ha’ moments on why certain words are pronounced differently even when the spelling of the words are seem pretty straightforward. The boys really enjoyed the combination of music, rhymes and graphics in this DVD. I think this would make a great teaching aid for parents or educators, when it comes to phonetic reading. Now, Rock ‘N Learn has made it easier for you to rent these DVDs via youtube.com. Check out their website for more details! It is available for purchase at $19.99. Right now, they are having a special promotional price for both volumes, at $34.99, with a savings of $5.
Win It! : Here’s a great chance to win the newly launched “Rock ‘N Learn Phonics DVD Vol.2″! Thanks to Rock ‘ n Learn, we’re giving away a DVD of your choice. Read on for details :
- One Mandatory Entry– visit Rock ‘N Learn and leave a comment letting us know which of their fabulous and fun DVD you would like to win.
- One Additional Entry– read one of our parenting articles. Leave a comment about it in the post and return here, with the article’s URL.
- Two Additional Entries– follow us on twitter and tweet this giveaway. Please leave us a comment including your twitter id and your tweet url. A TWEET A DAY, GIVES YOU 2 ENTRIES!! Tweet this : “Win this fabulous Rock ‘N Learn Phonics Vol.2 at parentreviewers.com“
- Giveaway is open to all shipping addresses.
- Giveaway ends 9th August 2010 and a winner will be picked using Random.org. We will not be emailing winners, so please make sure you subscribe to our feed or check back here for the winner announcement post.
Disclosure of Material Connection : http://cmp.ly/2